Seed Bead Chain Necklace

This seed bead chain necklace is a super simple and low cost way to create a statement piece of jewellery! And all you need are some large seed beads and thread.

DIY Seed Bead Chain Necklace Tutorial

Seed beads are one of those craft items that people often own, but never know what to do with! But seed beads are cheap, come in many different sizes and colours and so are a brilliant way to create some bold jewellery. This design is a variation on a bracelet that I teach as a workshop, but I fancied a necklace version!

You will need:

DIY Seed Bead Chain Necklace Tutorial

-Size 3 or 5 seed beads

-S-lon thread

-Scissors

How to:

1.Cut at least 2 metres of s-lon or similar and thread on 19 size 5 seed beads in the middle of the cord so you have two long ends. NB This will make a necklace that is 60cm /24″ long. You might want to measure your head before beginning to check this is enough; each beaded ‘link’ is approx 3cm long, so to increase the overall length you will need 6cm more thread per link you wish to add.

DIY Seed Bead Chain Necklace Tutorial

2.Take one more seed bead and thread one of the ends through left to right and the other end right to left so they crossover in the bead.

DIY Seed Bead Chain Necklace Tutorial

3.Pull the thread tight and they to even them out so both are equally long. Thread 9 seed beads onto each of the threads

DIY Seed Bead Chain Necklace Tutorial

4.Add another single crossover bead

DIY Seed Bead Chain Necklace Tutorial

5.Repeat the pattern of adding 9 single size 5 beads on each thread, then a single ‘crossover’ bead. You can keep using the same colour of beads or you can change and create a pattern. After 7 links of the mint beads I changed to a heamatite colour for 3 links. These were actually a larger size 3 seed bead, so to keep the same size links (3 cm by 2cm) I only added 7 beads on each side.

DIY Seed Bead Chain Necklace Tutorial

6.Keep going until you have 22 links and that it fits over your head, Add more links if you needs them. Then on the last link, rather than add a new crossover bead, use the middle bead from the very first link you created instead. This joins the necklace together.

DIY Seed Bead Chain Necklace Tutorial

7.Pull the threads tight and knot each thread off. Take the excess thread through a few beads before cutting off the tail.

DIY Seed Bead Chain Necklace Tutorial

8.You shouldn’t be able to see the join and the necklace can slip on over your head!

DIY Seed Bead Chain Necklace Tutorial

If you have a go at making your own seed bead chain necklace, or have any questions feel free to comment below or message me on TwitterInstagram or Facebook! Happy Making!

Tell your friends!

8 thoughts on “Seed Bead Chain Necklace

• December 19, 2016 at 8:22 am

Love this, there are all kinds of possibilities for patterns. I’m going to get my seed beads out and see what I can come up with. Thank you so much for this, Emma.

• December 19, 2016 at 4:46 pm

So glad you like it! This design can be used with pretty much any seed beads, I can’t wait to see what you come up with! Emma

• December 20, 2016 at 2:08 am

What size thread do you Use? I’ve only been able to string beads. This is the first project that I’ve seen that I think I can do. You took wonderful pictures on how to do this project!

• December 20, 2016 at 1:07 pm

Hi Karen! This is a really great project to move on to from basic stringing. I have used s-lon (sometimes called superlon tex 210) which is approx 0.5mm thick. Have fun! Emma.

• December 31, 2016 at 6:24 pm

I did the exact pattern that you suggested and it was to short to fit over my head. I think its best as a child’s necklace unless you have a really small head. I love the pattern though

• January 2, 2017 at 8:05 pm

Hi Cheri, I’m glad that you like the pattern! I have updated the instructions slightly, to make the finished length and instructions on how to lengthen it clearer- I know I have small head (seriously, I have to buy kids hats!) but thought I had made it long enough for most people, clearly not! Thanks for your feedback! Emma

• January 29, 2017 at 6:59 am

Do you have a pattern that uses a clasp? With a claspects you can make a chocker.

• January 29, 2017 at 12:52 pm

Hi Romonia!What a great idea to make a choker necklace! To add a clasp, use 2 separate threads and knot them together, then take a look at my Statement Summer Necklace if you follow steps 11 and 12 it show you how to attach a necklace end (sometimes called a callotte) then skip step 1 and start this pattern from step 2. Once the choker is the length you need, finish with another necklace end and knot, then add your clasp with a jump ring. Emma