If you are looking a gift for someone creative, I have just the post for you! My Creative Gift Guide has lots of creative present ideas, including books, kits and experiences.
I remember the excitement of getting new toys, art kits and books as presents when I was a kid. You know, fun stuff that you actually interact with. Then as you get older, gifts start to become, well, a bit boring. Not that there’s anything wrong with a bottle of wine or boxes of chocolates, but sometimes, I would like something a bit more inventive. Something that lasts beyond New Years. So here are some gifts that are perfect for your creatively minded family and friends!
*Some links are affiliate links, meaning I get a small fee if you go on to purchase the item. I only ever share things that I like and would genuinely want to you to buy. See my disclosure for more details
Subscriptions Boxes and Magazines
How about buying someone a gift subscription to a magazine or craft box? They are literally the gift that keeps on giving!
1. I have been buying Mollie Makes magazine since issue 2 and its is now on 100! Beautifully presented, gorgeous projects and you get a good old nose around the houses of creatives. Not to mention the mini kits that come as cover gifts!
2. I recently got sent a Facet Jewelry Box* to try out and I’m pretty impressed. It is a jewellery making subscription box from America and you can choose either simple stringing or stitching options. Each box comes with instructions and materials for two projects. They even sent a 50% discount code for me to share, just use HALFOFF at checkout! GIFTED
3. Craftiosity Boxes can be purchased as a subscription box or as individual boxes, and are ideal for people who love trying lots of different crafts, as each box has a different craft to try out! You get all materials and tools along with video tutorials.
Creative Book Gifts
I love creative books, whether they are practical how to guides or more ideas based – here are some of my current favourites!
4. I had to include Wreck this Journal*. This book is very much a practical experience that encourages you to stab holes in it and scribble all over it! It is anarchic, rebellious and I love it.
5. For the quieter creative, Conscious Creativity * is a newly published book by Phillipa Stanton (known as @5ftinf on Instagram) about finding inspiration and connecting ideas. Full of wonderful photographs and insightful tips and excercises, its about embracing the act of being creative rather than the end product.
6. Art Matters * by fantasy writer Neil Gaiman is part manifesto, part inspiration and part self help book about why creating is important.
Creative Craft Kit Gifts
Kits are perfect for crafty people in your life to not only enjoy the making, but get a new item as the end result.
7. When I’m not being Make and Fable, I work at The Bead Shop Nottingham! And this Embellished Bracelet Kit is just one of the lovely beading kits we make. If you know someone who likes jewellery making, this kit is a great introduction to bead-weaving.
8.This is cross stitch on a giant scale! This Cotton Clara Embroidery Kit comes with a wooden sign pre-drilled with the holes needed for stitching. Perfect for you crafty friend who has just moved house!
9. And whilst we are on home DIY projects, this Lampshade Craft Kit from Makery has everything you need to make your own Lampshade!
Experiences and Workshops
If you want to gift an experience rather than materials in a box, then these workshops and online courses might be just what you are looking for.
10. Teri Muncey of The Lovely Drawer runs both workshops and private lessons on Brush Lettering. And you can take the guesswork out of choosing dates and get a workshop gift voucher.
11. Something a little different is this online course in Spooncarving from Gartur Stitch Farm. You can choose to get just the course or the course and all tools/materials.
12.Weaving and macrame have been popular crafts for while now, but putting how about putting them together? I have been following Hello Hydrangea on Instagram for years and have had my eye on her Macrame Weaving online class for a while now!
If there is a book, course, kit or workshop that you think makes a brilliant gift for a creative person, let me know by commenting below! And for more creative inspiration, modern craft and behind the scenes of my life as a jewellery maker Sign up to my monthly ‘Making, Creating and Little Adventures’ email! Happy Gifting!